Fall is here! Well, in the US, fall is here. 🙂 I forget the global connection we have these days. Isn’t it interesting how we tend to think the way things are were we live is the way they are everywhere. Now there’s a blog topic.
Anywho, the air is a bit sharper and it is definitely time to fill your apartment with warmth and yummy smells. Here is a recipe for one of my favorite soups. My family loves it, too.
Sausage & Tortellini Soup
1 lb bulk Italian sausage
1 cup chopped onion
3 garlic cloves, minced
5 cups beef broth
2 cups chopped tomatoes
1 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
1 large carrot, sliced
1/2 cup dry red wine
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried oregano
10 ounces cheese tortellini
salt and pepper
fresh grated parmesan cheese
- In a large saucepan, cook Italian sausage until no longer pink. Drain sausage well on paper towels and pour off all but 1 tablespoon of drippings from saucepan.
- Add onion and garlic to saucepan. Saute until translucent. Return sausage to pan; add beef broth, tomatoes, tomato sauce, carrot, wine, basil, and oregano.
- Simmer until vegetables are tender, 40-60 minutes.
- Add tortellini and cook until tender. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Ladle into individual soup bowls and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.